The Best Quick & Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe Made With Ground Beef
If you’re looking for cheap and easy dinner recipes for the family, this ground beef and potato casserole recipe is always a hit! Even your picky eaters will love this simple meal. It’s also loaded with veggies, so consider it healthy enough to serve often.
The idea behind a classic shepherd’s pie is simply to mix ground beef or lamb with a good hearty tomato based sauce and mixed vegetables, top with mashed potatoes in a casserole dish (I also like to sprinkle cheese all over the top, because why not!?), and then bake until the potatoes and cheese are well browned.
Simple comfort food the entire family will love!
The only issue with a traditional shepherd’s pie is that they usually require 10+ ingredients and a lot of prep. No, thank you! Because my family enjoys this dinner recipe so much, I came up with a way to make it super quick and easy with just 6 simple ingredients.
- ground beef
- beef stew seasoning mix
- frozen mixed veggies
- tomato soup
- cheddar cheese
- mashed potatoes (any kind– boxed, homemade, leftover, store-bought, etc.)
In a large pan, simply brown the ground beef and and drain the excess grease. Add the tomato soup, frozen veggies, seasoning and about half a cup of water to the pan; simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Evenly spread the beef mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Spread your mashed potatoes over the top and then sprinkle with 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown.
Even though this shepherd’s pie is incredibly easy to make, it’s not missing any flavor! I was pleasantly surprised at how good this simple recipe was, in fact, my husband thought it was better than the complicated recipes I’ve made in the past.
Looking for quick and easy dinner recipes for the family? This is the BEST easy Shepherd's Pie recipe made with simple and cheap ingredients! The sauce is made with just a seasoning packet and tomato soup, taking out all of the hassle. Even your picky eaters will love this declicious dinner recipe. It's hearty, comforting and serves a large family.
- 1/2 (13oz) box of mashed potatoes (plus the ingredients required to make them on the box-- butter, milk & salt)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (12oz) bag frozen mixed veggies
- 1 (10.75oz) can tomato soup
- 1 (1.5oz) packet of beef stew seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the mashed potatoes according to the package directions (about half of a 13 ounce box; more if you like a lot of potatoes or are feeding a large family).
Meanwhile, brown the ground beef on medium heat in a large skillet; drain any excess grease.
Add the can of tomato soup, frozen mixed veggies, beef stew seasoning mix and 1/2 cup of water to the browned beef; stir and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
Spread the ground beef mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish, evenly spread the prepared mashed potatoes over top, and then sprinkle with cheese.
Bake uncovered in the center rack for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.
- Any mashed potatoes can be used for this recipe (boxed, homemade, leftover, store-bought, etc.). In fact, the pre-made mashed potatoes you can buy in the deli section of most grocery stores would be even easier. If you're making them from scratch, you will need about 4 large russet potatoes.
- If your family likes onion, feel free to sauté a chopped onion in your pan before adding the ground beef for additional flavor. Fresh garlic is good, too!
A Quick and easy dinner recipe made with ground beef & potatoes. Great for large families with kids!