Simple restaurant quality orange chicken served over rice that can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
A quick and easy dinner idea your entire family will love!
Are you looking for a simple meal you can make at home when you’re tired and hungry? This sticky orange chicken recipe does not disappoint. Every single person in my family loves this effortless dinner, especially my ultra picky kids.
I honestly wasn’t even intending on posting this recipe but it was so easy and so dang good that I couldn’t let anyone miss out on it. This easy way of making orange chicken at home is made with just a few ingredients and tastes like something you’d get at a restaurant. Simply add frozen popcorn chicken bites, orange marmalade, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, and rice to your shopping list. You’re about to have an irresistible meal on your hands!
Ingredients For The Best Orange Chicken
- 1 bag frozen popcorn chicken (24 oz size or similar)
- 1 jar orange marmalade (17oz)
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cooked white or brown rice
How To Make Orange Chicken At Home
Step 1Prepare the popcorn chicken according to package instructions. I used Tyson Any’tizer Popcorn Chicken and cooked them at 400 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, prepare your rice and prep any veggies you plan on serving on the side.
Step 2In medium size sauce pan, mix together the orange marmalade, bbq sauce, and soy sauce. Heat this mixture on medium low until the marmalade is melted and everything is combined (about 5 minutes). Make sure to stir the sauce frequently so it doesn’t burn.
Step 3Remove the popcorn chicken from the oven and dump the cooked chicken into a bowl. Immediately pour your orange sauce over the popcorn chicken. Use all the sauce! Gently toss the chicken with a spoon until every piece is completely covered.
Your orange chicken is now ready! Spoon this delicious sweet and savory chicken over a bowl of rice (I also like to drizzle a little extra sauce over the top of mine). Sauté up some vegetables as a side dish and you have the best quick and easy orange chicken dinner!
Side Dish Ideas
- Of course, white, brown or fried rice is a must. Orange chicken simply wouldn’t be complete without it.
- Chow mein is also a yummy alternative to rice. You can even buy it premade at most grocery stores.
- I sautéed some broccoli and red bell peppers as a side dish, but zucchini, carrots, cabbage, onions or mushrooms would also pair well.
- An asian inspired salad would definitely complement this dish, and you can often find premade kits in the produce section.
- If you’re looking to lighten up this meal a bit, you could also trade the rice out for cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
- To make the meal go further, consider a side of spring rolls or fried wontons.
Are you looking for easy meals that take less than 30 minutes to make? This yummy orange chicken recipe is the best last minute dinner idea! Using just 5 simple ingredients, you can make a quick weeknight meal that will have your picky kids begging for more.
- 1 (24oz) bag frozen popcorn chicken
- 1 (17oz) jar orange marmalade
- 1 cup bbq sauce (any brand will work)
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- cooked white or brown rice for serving (optional)
Cook the popcorn chicken and rice according the package instructions.
While the popcorn chicken is cooking, combine the orange marmalade, bbq sauce, and soy sauce in a medium size sauce pan. Warm on medium low for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the marmalade has melted and everything is combined.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked popcorn chicken with the hot orange sauce. Toss the chicken gently until it is completely coated with the sauce.
Serve over a bed of rice and enjoy!
- Any brand of frozen popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets, or even grilled chicken will work for this recipe.
- I like to use Smucker's Natural Orange Marmalade for this recipe. It gives the perfect amount of orange flavor to the sauce without being overbearing.
- Want to add a little spice? Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes or cayenne for the adults.
- You can double or even triple the recipe for larger families or gatherings.
The combination of marmalade, bbq sauce, and soy sauce gives the perfect hint of orange flavor that coats the popcorn chicken bites just right!